The pendulum bow sight is the perfect accessory for any bow hunter who enjoys exploring varied terrain that features dramatic changes in angles and elevation. They are often used when you are taking a shot from a tree stand or aiming at your target from the bottom of a steep ravine.
Before the pendulum bow sight became a commonly used tool by even the most experienced of archers, hitting a target in environments such as these was a task that required a high level of skill combined with calculated guesswork. Fortunately, the creators of the Pendulum bow sight designed it with this in mind and it is now one of the guaranteed ways to get a bulls eye from up to 35 yards, with no guessing involved.
Benefits of Using a Pendulum Bow Sight
Any tool that you can use to aid your accuracy (especially when it comes to shooting from a tree stand, which is something that takes practice and precision) is going to be at the top of your kit list before you head out into the field. Whether you are competing against your friends for points, or you just fancy doing some solo practice, a pendulum bow sight has endless advantages such as:
- Being able to stay fixed your target for up to 40 yards, regardless of where you angle your weapon.
- You won’t waste artillery firing by having to rely on guesswork to know how far away your target is.
- Many bow hunters find using a single-pin sight easier on the eye than a multi-pin sight.
- It will help to build confidence with beginners.
- Compensates for the elevation when shooting from a stand.
Before buying a pendulum bow sight that meets your every need, you should consider the following points:
- Consider your needs: How often do you realistically shoot from tree stands or mountain landscapes? While the pendulum bow sight offers better precision than any other bow sight when firing at your target from a tree stand, it can be inferior to other bow sights when used in other environments.
- Budget: If you have the budget to purchase a variety of different bow sights, then, by all means, add a top-notch pendulum sight to your shopping list. If you have a limited budget, but you love to go on all terrain hunting expeditions, then spend some time looking for a more affordable option.
- Are you used to using a single-pin sight? Many hunters who are used to using multi-pin sights struggle to notice the subtle variations in distance when using a single-pin pendulum sight.
With this in mind, here are our recommendations for the top 3 pendulum bow sights available on the market today.
Price range: $
If you are an avid tree stand hunter, then this will be an ideal choice for you. The TRUGLO pendulum bow sight can be mounted onto right- and left-handed bows and features a locking mechanism to keep it in place for ground shooting. When you have adjusted the mechanism into place, the pin is moved automatically ensuring extreme accuracy for distances up to 40 yards. Another excellent feature of the TRUGLO is a luminous built-in level and shooter’s ring allowing you to easily align your sight when light conditions are poor.
- Very quiet.
- Uses advanced technology for enhanced accuracy.
- Can be locked into place for accurate ground shots.
- Long range distance compensation.
- Excellent value for money.
- Only effective when used in certain types of terrain.
Overall, this pendulum sight offers excellent value for money at just over $80 and has received consistently good reviews. It is durable as well as being lightweight and it is easy to adjust and mount.
Alternative Options to Using a Pendulum Bow Sight
Due to technology and design advancing substantially over recent years, many of the more prestigious bow sight manufacturers are focusing their attention on producing more versatile bow sights that can be used in almost any environment or situation. Additionally, veteran bow hunters always insist that “your hips are your pendulum” and that pendulum sights are not considered to be a must-have for hunting on landscapes with steeply inclined terrain. With this in mind, here is our chosen alternative for a pendulum bow sight.
Price range: $$
The HHA Optimizer Lite 5000 has been created with ease of use and ethical bow hunting in mind. One particular feature that stood out about it, is that once you have initially mounted the sight and set it up, you won’t require any tools to make any adjustments, which is a huge plus if you want to quickly change elevation settings whilst out hunting. This single-pin sight has consistently been voted the best value for money, especially given how durable it is.
- Includes RDS technology.
- Excellent value for money.
- Easy to calibrate out in the field.
- Lifetime guarantee.
- Comes with pre-marked and blank sight tape featuring two distance calibration.
- Extremely lightweight and durable.
- Outstanding quality.
- No third axis adjustment.
- Not suitable for shooting at distances over 80 yards.
Many bow hunters swear by this single pin bow sight, although it is better suited to beginner and intermediate skill levels. It ticks all of the boxes with regards to what a good bow sight should do and for the price, it’s pretty much unbeatable. While there is no third axis adjustment included in the package, you can easily get hold of one—just remember to think ahead and order one separately!
While pendulum bow sights are not as commonplace as they used to be back in the ’90s, the TruGlo Pendulum bow sight can now be likened to a classic car. It is not thought of an absolute essential, but those who have one, couldn’t do without it. For beginners, a pendulum bow sight remains to be one of the most effective ways to ease themselves into the world of bow hunting while mastering basic skills.